Jonathan Livingston Seagull By Richard Bach

I must have been 13 year old when my aunt gifted Jonathan Livingston Seagull to me on 10.07.2004. I can still remember her writing "Shree Vithal" on the first page of the book, my name and the day she gifted me. I can't believe so many years have passed, the print has fainted and the book seems to be worn out as well. 

This book was a massive best-seller in the 1970's selling millions of copies. This 127 page novella (now 144 page, complete edition) is about the importance of seeking higher purpose in life even if your 'flock' does not understand your passion.



The book starts with this..



I think this book was one of the toughest books I ever read. The first time I read I did not seem to understand anything, just took pleasure in seeing the photographs by Russell Munson. Over these years I must have reread this book many times , each time understanding a little more about Jonathan and his ambition. Sometimes, I would think I was too dumb to understand the book. But now I think you need a little maturity, failure, pain to understand this book. 
  
And some splendid photography by Russell Munson
This is book is for all the rebels out there who don't let society bog them down and be held by conventional norms. For people who are driven from within, for people who want to achieve transcendence. The book will teach you about kindness, love and forgiveness.

My favourite part from the book would be..  
Jonathon asks an elder seagull, “Is there no such place as heaven?" 
"No, Jonathon, there is no such place. Heaven is not a place, and it is not a time. Heaven is being perfect...You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathon, in the moment that you touch perfect speed...Perfect speed, my son, is being there."

Every reader takes away something different depending on his perception of the book but there is something for everyone! 

Have you read this book? what do you feel about it? 

Buy your Book here..

  

CONVERSATION